Friday, February 15, 2008

Vado, vai, va, andiamo, andate, vanno

Monday through Thursday this week I was in intensive (4.5 hours per day) Italian classes for absolute beginners. Before the classes, I was wondering if I might be a “beginner“ rather than an “absolute beginner”, but by the second day I was wondering if I could keep handle the absolute beginner level.

The reputation of these courses, offered free by the university for incoming students and faculty, is not good. My experience, though, was quite positive. I'm still pretty awful ... well, ok, really awful ... but actually that's way better than just a week ago, and to make noticeable progress in a single week is remarkable. I thought the course was very well taught. I think the negative reputation may linger from a previous set of instructors.

I should have been there Friday as well, but had to (that's “devo”, but I don't know how to make it past tense) go ( “vado”, first person singular) to Milano to pick up my visa and visas for my family.

No comments: